Saturday, August 28, 2010

Illustration 5 Post #1


1. What media do you like working in?
I like working in ink mostly. I'll sketch something and ink it with either microns or a brush and ink. I'm still getting the hang of digital work but I also like working in photoshop. I also like painting, but I'm not very good at it. (Acryllics).

2. What media do you hate working in? Why?
I don't think there's anything I "hate" working in, I'm pretty much willing to give anything a try...but that doesn't necessarily mean I'll be good at it.

3. What media would you like to try, but haven't?
Oils and gouache. I've seen people do a lot of really awesome artwork with both of those but I've never tried either.

4. List 3 non-Illustration classes that have influenced you and/or your work positively.
Life Drawing helped me with human forms and focusing on the fact they have mass and movement. Art of Mexico influenced me a lot because I REALLY liked the imagery and drew from it a lot when drawing and designing monsters. I can't really think of a third, but I can tell Text and Image is going to influence me creatively. One of the stories I'm writing for it I've already drawn a lot of illustrations based on.

5. How has the work of your peers influenced you and your work?
I feel like everyone else's work challenges me to try harder and get better...for example, Alex and Marie's paintings (digitally and traditionally respectively) encourage me to try and paint more. I think the friendly competitive nature in classes between the students really helps everyone's work, as well as the opinions and helpful comments.

6. What sort of subject matter do you like to create work about?
I like whimsical and fantastical subjects. Children going on magical adventures, monsters and mythological beasts, etc. I also like brutal excessive artwork like on album covers. (Some of my FAVORITES are Baroness album covers, as seen below:)

That album cover also includes decorative elements and fancy ladies, which I also like to create work of.

7. What sort of subject matter do you like to read about?
I like fantasy novels like His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman and ANYTHING by Diana Wynne Jones. I also like autobiographies and anything in general about peoples lives and the things they've experienced and grown from. (I read Dolly Parton's this summer).

8. What kind of music do you like?
I like metal and indie music mostly, but I'm not too terribly picky. My favorite band of all time is GWAR. I also really enjoy Between the Buried and Me, Against Me!, Josh Ritter, Ryan Adams, Andrew Bird, Feist, Iron and Wine, mewithoutYou, The Smiths, Son of Aurelius, Job for a Cowboy, Electric Wizard, and many more...I like all the music I listen to because it appeals to me with its sound. Above all else though, I like songs that tell stories. A good example of that is ANYTHING at all by Josh Ritter:

I like songs that tell stories because I like to tell stories myself.

9. What non-art related interest/hobbies/skills do you have?
I play lots of video games. I like RPGs and MMORPGs like Final Fantasies and World of Warcraft as well as games like Gears of War, Left 4 Dead and Borderlands...I like being immersed in stories, and I love the different designs of characters and environments. I feel like video games are art.

10. What is something you like that nobody else likes?
I really doubt there is one thing I like that no one else in the whole world does, but I guess something I like that I get a lot of shit for is WoW. World of Warcraft gets a lot of negative opinions attached to it because of its general fanbase and people not having lives while playing it, which is a shame because it's REALLY AWESOME and I highly recommend it.

11. If you had the run of the world's museums, what three works of original art would you like to own??
I don't know if three original pieces I would like to own would necessarily be in museums...I prefer contemporary artists. BUT:

"Wave" by James Jean

Untitled sketchbook piece by Coey Kuhn

And I'd like to own pretty much anything created by Florian Bertmer (artist of the three-eyed wolf shirt.)

No comments: