Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Illustration 5 Post #4

1. List ten illustrators whose work you admire, or whose career you would like to emulate.

-Florian Bertmer-


-Kentaro Miura-


-John Baizley-


-Bryan Lee O'Malley-


-Lois van Baarle-


-Chris Sanders-


-Alphonse Mucha-


-Shane Prigmore-


-Scott C.-


-Vera Brosgol-



2. Who are their clients? What sort of work do those clients look for?
Video game concept artist-needers, people needing advertisements, character designs for movies or games, comic book authors needing artists, bands needing t-shirt designs/album covers...

3. Find at least 10 magazines that you think you could work for. Record the names of the art director and any assistant art directors listed, and their contact information.
Some of the magazines listed don't necesarilly show a lot of artwork, but are filled with content I feel like I would enjoy illustrating.
-Game Informer-
(Andy McNamara)
-PlayStation Magazine-
(Gary Steinman, Ken Bousquet)
-Spin Magazine-
(Ian Robinson)
-Wizard Magazine-
(?)
-Time-


4.If you were starting your own magazine and your livelihood depended on it selling well and your sanity depended on it being something you wanted to spend all your time on, what would it be? What sorts of writers and artists would you hire? What subject matter would it deal with? How would you want it to look?
I would want to do a magazine on video games or comic books, like many of the magazines I listed above. I don't really read magazines, so I had a hard time coming up with 10 I would like to participate in...it is definitely an industry I'd like to work with, but I don't really have any specific preferences...a job is a job. I think I'd put a little bit of myself into any subject I was given to illustrate and have fun with it no matter what it was...or at least I'd try to. I'd like to think my artwork would appeal to buyers at bookstores and they'd want to pick up whatever I'm making based on its visual appeal...no matter what the interior holds. That's how I look at magazines--if the cover is interesting then I'll pick it up, no matter what the title is or what its about. If I'm promised a really good visual experience, I think it's worth it.

5. List ten non-magazine clients you'd like to work with. Why are these dream clients?
-Pixar-
Because I want to do character design for movies, especially kid friendly ones.
-Dreamworks-
For the same reason...
-Disney-
Same...
-Blizzard-
To do concept art for video games that I enjoy, like World of Warcraft...
-Valve-
Same as with Blizzard, more video game concept art and character design...
-Dark Horse Comics-
So I could do comic books.
-Marvel-
Same...
-DC-
Same...
-Square-Enix-
Another video game one, but this one would be pretty impossible.



No comments: